Built in 1908 as a residential hotel for farmers and country residents, the Nedlands’ Park Hotel was once serviced by a tram from the city centre. Purchased in 1935 by Stephen McHenry, the hotel soon became fondly known as ‘Steves’ and has etched its colourful mark in the history of Perth’s business establishment ever since. The McHenry family then acquired the freehold from the Swan Brewery in 1977. The ‘new Steves’ was conceptualised 20 years ago. The Nedlands Park Hotel closed in late 2006 and the actual renovations commenced in early 2007.